Monday, April 26, 2010

23rd April Reflection

Today, we were given the task to research about music videos. The teacher wasn't here, and we didn't have a lot of guidelines.

I thought of the different elements of a music video, and according to cinematography. I immediately thought of the structure of it, how it would be narrative. Then I thought what music videos were attractive to me, then I realized it was more than basic cinematography, but rather a creative idea.

I went online and searched for different music videos. Most of the them were quite similar. It was just singers dressed in "fashionable" clothes, and dancing around singing. I wanted to look for different and creative ideas to do them. Then I found some that seemed very interesting to me. For example, some used stop-motion, and another one used a pop-up book style animation.
Then I started to realize some relations from the videos to the music, or rather, the lyrics.

The content of the video doesn't necessarily have to match the lyrics or the music, but the pace of it should be in close relation. Also, the introduction of the music video holds the key to attractiveness. The introductions the critical to grasp the audience's attention, and attracting them to be interested to see the music video.
The idea of the music video also has to be relatively creative. If it is similar to another video, it would seem boring to the audience.

However, even if the song is slow paced, the video clip shouldn't be too slow, or the video might simply seem uninteresting. A story has to be told in the short few minutes, and more content should be packed into it. Also, the basic rules of cinematography has to be obeyed, e.g. rule of thirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment